Monday, December 9, 2013

Morning Glory Muffins

On my journey to getting healthy, I have come across some really good recipes that I want to share.  I don't like recipes that are hard or require a lot of prep time.  I like recipes that turn out even if you don't follow the directions to the tee.

So just know that these are recipes that I have personally tried and I have loved them.  I hope you enjoy them too.

Morning Glory Muffins

Dry Ingredients:
 - 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
 - 3/4 cup oat-bran cereal
 - 1/2 tsp baking soda
 - 1 tsp apple pie spice
 - 1/2 tsp sea salt

Wet Ingredients
 - 1 banana, mashed
 - 1/2 cup plain kefir
 - 1 egg white + 1 whole egg, well beaten
 - 2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
 -  tsp vanilla extract
 - 1 carrot, peeled and grated
 - 1/4 cup pitted dates (optional, I've never used them)
 - 1/2 cup chopped natural walnuts (or any nut you would like)

1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2) Prepare 12 muffin tins by lining with silicon or paper liners, or by spraying with cooking spray.
3) Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. mix well.
4) Combine all wet ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. mix well.
5) Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix until just combined.  Do not over mix or your muffins will come out flat and rubbery.
6) Spoon batter into muffin cups until 3/4 full.  Place in hot oven and bake for 15 -20 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool on wire cooling rack.


No comments:

Post a Comment